1.27.2011

todays the day

its taken me 4 months to write this. i dont know why really, everyones doing it...blogging that is. but to me the idea of shooting my overly honest opinions and countless grammatical errors into cyberspace was a bit daunting.

i had the idea of starting a blog when i first took off to london this past october. i thought 'wouldnt it be lovely to write about my trip, lack of focus and general confusion with life and my impending future'. i dont know if its going to be lovely per se, but last night as i got into bed i thought to myself, i finally know what im going to write. finallllly.

six years ago i stood on the stage of massey hall alongside 56 other bright eyed ladies, dressed all in white, holding a dozen red roses, ready to graduate from our little all girls high school. from there i moved to university where everything was shiny and new. this past may i graduated with an honors ba in global studies. i wore my regalia with pride and took the standard photo shoot throwing my mortarboard into the air as a sign of my achievement.

i am 23 years old. i have lived in three different cities, travelled to well over a dozen countries, completed university and after all these fantastic life experiences the most recent employer i have on my resume is, jack astors bar and grill.

im not saying that i have anything against being a waitress. i have made all the money i have ever needed to travel and live working the late night shifts and sweet talking old men. i just think that after countless hours of greater education, how is it that i have fallen into this cycle of working as an under appreciated service industry grunt. this is finally going to end.

my moto for the greater majority of my life has been, 'i do what i want'. this will probably stick around but now it will coincide with my new goal, to pursue a path that i actually find interesting. 2011 is a year made for changes.

today i read a quote by thomas edison that i loved. he said 'if we all did the things we are capable of doing we would literally astound ourselves.' im ready to be electrified.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing! I am definitely going to be reading this on a regular basis... I have confidence in you that you will find something you are passionate about and I can't wait to see what it may be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I graduated university and the only job that would take me was Starbucks. Guess where I am now? BACK IN SCHOOL taking another degree (Bachelor of Education) that will not lead to a job. haha.
    Love the blog Sarah! Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete